Photobucket Photobucket

22 Sept 2012

Rated: P!nk - The Truth About Love (Track by Track)

Funhouse didn't rock my boat, not after the amazing-ness that was/is I'm Not Dead. I was a bit deflated, disappointed and left wandering the pop landscape with a cloud of confusion obstructing my vision of P!nk's future in my 'recently played'. Well she must have got my memo because she just head butted me in the balls with her new album The Truth About Love

I don't think it's necessarily a step forward for P!nk, but it definitely sees her find her feet again. There are some brilliant songs on here, no fillers, no shitters and plenty sass. The best thing about her as a popstar is that she is reliable. You don't see P!nk popping out chart relevant albums splattered with generic dub step beats (thank God because I can't take anymore dub step!), she always stays true to her tried and tested formula. The most impressive thing with this new album is that rather than evolve her it cements the distinctiveness of her sound.

I've gone through this step by step, so gird your loins:

1. Are We All We Are?
Dark and dirty pop-rock with an epic chorus. Probably not single material, but an epic opener. 4/5

2. Blow Me (One Last Kiss)
I only gave this 3/5 when I reviewed it before. Now it's gotten so deeply embedded in my head I've got no choice but to withdraw this and hit myself for being so fucking stupid. 4/5

3. Try
This is the second single and it's lovely. Produced by Kelly Clarkson 'Dark Side' creator Busbee, this is destined to become a fan favourite ballad. 4/5

4. Just Give Me a Reason
Teaming up with Fun. frontman Nate Ruess, this is one of the album's best songs. It's got a perfectly structured chorus layered over Fun. esque beats, and their voices sound amazing together. If this isn't a single there's something wrong with the world. 5/5

5. True Love
A song about how complicated love can be; 'You're an asshole but I love you'. One minute she's beating the shit out of him, the next she wants a hug. She hates hims so much it must be 'True Love, True Love, Truuueee Love'. This is awesome, bouncy, fun-pop and it features Lily Allen! Good times. 5/5

6. How Come You're Not Here
I love this. It's P!nk doing dirty pop-rock again, only this time there are twinkly bells. Trust me, it's bloody good. 5/5

7. Slut Like You
'I'm not a slut I just love love' chants P!nk before the 'Cuz I Can' type beat kicks in. The chorus is wild, with P!nk blasting 'I'm a slut like you!' and chatting the mid section in true pop comedy fashion. 5/5

8. Truth About Love
The title track (obviously). This doesn't grab at first, especially after the consecutive epicness that comes before it. It's chanty and fun, but it isn't as instantly likeable as the rest of the album, although it has one of my favourite lyrics on the entire album, 'The truth about love is it's blood and it's guts'. 3/5

9. Beam Me Up
The album slows down completely for this stripped back, acoustic ballad. Stunning vocals from P!nk, showing off her immense country tones. 5/5

10. Walk Of Shame
Unfortunately quite easy for me to relate to, as I imagine it is for everyone else reading this right now. You know who you are, tarts! 'One step, two steps, counting tiles on the floor, three steps, four steps, guess this means that I'm a whore...'. Hmmm, yeah... it's been a while though. Reformed. Oh, the song, it's cool as fuck. 5/5

11. Here Comes the Weekend
Opening with a playground chant over a heavy guitar riff, this is a funky rocky tune packed with attitude. 4/5

12. Where Did the Beat Go?
Great beats. Great vocals. Totally infectious. 5/5

13. The Great Escape
The standard version of the album closes with this piano led ballad. It's not as gorgeous as 'Beam Me Up', but it's still overflowing with charm. 3.5/5

Bonus Tracks

14. My Signature Move
At first I didn't like this, mainly because I didn't really get where it was going. Then the chorus exploded and I was blown away. Everytime that chorus kicks in it's like being in a wind tunnel.

15. Is This Thing On?
Cool production and it could be brilliant but there's something missing. What? I have no idea. 2.5/5

16. Run
A power ballad, with P!nk's voice on it. Solid production and a huge beat all mixed up with P!nk emotive voice; perfect. 5/5

17. Good Old Days
Lots of clapping and happy lyrics about love, of course. 4/5

The Truth About Love is one of P!nk's most accomplished albums to date. Better than Funhouse and possibly better than I'm Not Dead. It doesn't have one song I dislike. There are a couple I'm not as fond of, but I can tell with time they'll grow. 

With hugely satisfying moments, some tracks that have so much attitude they make Rihanna look like a cuddly Teddy Bear Nun, and vocals so strong and distinct Beyonce starts to sound like a really good Xfactor contestant, this is one of the best pop records of 2012 and of P!nk's career.

4.5/5

Top track - Just Give Me a Reason
Others to download: Blow Me/Beam Me Up/Slut Like You/True Love

No comments :

Post a Comment