Photobucket Photobucket

29 Dec 2014

Pop Pilgrim's Hopes For 2015

We all have hopes and dreams of what 2015 will bring and I, like most people, hope that by this time next year I'll have hysterically shit myself when my Euromillions numbers come up trumps. However, this isn't a blog about being rich, how much you want your life to improve, blah blah wah wah. It's about music and most of the time it's about pop music, music you'd have been bullied for liking in high school. So here are ten things I plucked (rapidly) from my head that I'd love to see and post about in 2015:

10. BRITNEY SPEARS CONTINUES VEGAS RESIDENCY FOR ANOTHER TEN YEARS
Britney's last album Britney Jean was a cockup. Let's face it, it was a fucking disaster and she needs to learn from this mistake. It's unlikely she will because she is still completely 'hands off' when it comes to her music (not that she's ever been hands on). The only way to avoid another catastrophe is for her to continue miming in Vegas for another ten years and leave her ageing fans to enjoy the diamonds of her back catalogue without this 'modern music' nonsense.  

09. A NEW JANELLE MONÁE ALBUM IS OVERDUE
There's never an unsuitable time for a new Janelle Monáe record and right now I feel very much that I would enjoy such a thing in my life. Her music gets better and better over time which surely means her next installment in the Suite series will be perfect? If you've not immersed yourself in the world of Monáe you need to do so post haste. 

08. RITA ORA GETS ON WITH IT AND STOPS COLLABORATING 
That money from Katy Perry penned collaboration 'Black Widow' with Iggy Azalea won't last forever so Rita needs to get a move on with her next studio album. Her debut album ORA wasn't perfect (no it wasn't super Ora fans!) and really only had a few brilliant tracks on it, which ended up being the singles. So, my point is confirmed. The lead single from her sophomore album, 'I Will Never Let You Down', narrowly missed out on my Top 30 songs of 2014 and is actually very promising stuff.

07. SAM SMITH GETS OVER HIS ONE NIGHT STAND
Don't get me wrong, I really enjoyed Sam Smith's In The Lonely Hour and I'm sure everyone can relate to the material in some way. However, as beautiful as mega single 'Stay With Me' was/is, it's time to move on, dump the jonny and look to the future. I anticipate a new album by the end of 2015 because I'm certain Sam is probably at the eye rolling stage when he's asked to perform said single. 


06. AN AMAZING DEBUT ALBUM FROM FLORRIE
So underrated and brimming with potential that I, at least, have realised. This gorgeous waif had a hand in the production and written words in some Girls Aloud songs so surely it's her time in 2015. If you've not heard any of her tracks (single 'Little White Lies' appeared in my countdown for 2014) check out the song I just put in brackets or 'I Took A Little Something'. These are good starting points. 

05. ANOTHER "BEYONCÉ" AND THE END OF ALBUM REPACKAGING
It's been over a year now since we got that wonderful black and pink, eponymous surprise from Bey. There were rumours abound that she was going to do it again this year, but then it was announced that she was properly releasing a deluxe album with tour footage instead. I wasn't happy. I hate album repackaging, so much I could weep. LAZY POPSTARS STOP IT! Why would I want to buy a CD (I sometimes enjoy doing that in the age of digital music) again for a few extra tracks? Especially when the tracks are shit? Yes, you heard me Beyoncé, your bonus tracks are dire. '7/11' my arse. 

04. NEW RIHANNA ALBUM
When you exceed two years after a Rihanna album release without another album you get worried. According to Instagram the Bajan beauty is still living so there's hope that in 2015 she'll pop out some new music and if she doesn't it must be over. Apparently she's in the studio as I type (sic). There's some recovery required from Unapologetic because it was balls. I know she won't let me/us down. Disclaimer: I love Rihanna (just incase she reads this and tries to have me killed). 

03. FLEUR EAST BECOMES A POPSTAR
This is essential to the British pop industry and here's why. Jessie J's latest album is a let down and flopped pretty hard even with the success of 'Bang Bang'. Alexandra Burke is lost in the ether somewhere, scrambling for a hit song to revive her now dead chart career. Those are two of 'type' of popstar shaped space Fleur East can fill and fill well indeed. She's likeable, attractive, has abs, an afro and she also sings nice. Her presence saved the X Factor this year because she is a genuinely promising popstar of the future and the UK needs another one, desperately. On another note, picking a One Republic song for Fleur's Winner's Song was a travesty. Had I been given the powers I deserve, she'd have sung something by the Fugees. 

02. A NEW SIA SINGLE PERHAPS?
Apparently 'Big Girls Cry' was released as the second single from 1000 Forms of Fear in December 2014. Not having a proper date makes this seem unlikely. 'Chandelier' isn't the only incredible track from Sia's latest album and quite honestly this bag over the head, faceless album campaign isn't really working out is it? So take the fucking bag off, sing to people and release a new amazing song like 'Fire Meet Gasoline' or properly release 'Big Girls Cry'. 

01. A NEW FUCKING ROBYN ALBUM FOR FUCK SAKE!
Four years it's been since Body Talk. Where the fuck are you?

No comments :

Post a Comment