Photobucket Photobucket

15 Feb 2012

Rated Our Version of Events - "Creamy-Delicious Neo-Soul"

"Sande has a mesmerising gift"
Emeli Sande rocked up to the frontline in mid-late 2011 with her startlingly good debut single 'Heaven'. From there she's gone musical miles. A number one duet with Professor Green and impressive writing credits for the likes of Leona Lewis, Susan Boyle, Prof. Green and Tinie Tempah (not to mention being linked to numerous other stars). We no longer have to settle for three songs, we get a lovely 15 (itunes deluxe package) track album packed with passion and that soft yet powerful, gorgeously pitch perfect vocal. 

Her abilities as a singer are unquestionable on all of the tracks, from the soulful 'then I'm gone/then I'm gone' on the Massive Attack-esque beats of 'Heaven' to the stunning power ballad 'My Kind of Love'. Her range is perfectly illustrated on the lullaby style melodies of 'Where I Sleep', with its soft verses which effortlessly melt into creamy-delicious neo-soul.

First a songwriter, then a singer, Sande's talent shines on 'Mountains', a stunning love song about the journey of a relationship and the determination to overcome all obstacles. It feels real, with lyrics like 'I'd never work these hours if I didn't love you' and 'I keep my fingers crossed that we're gon' be able/I touch the wood for luck on our broken table...' Coupling lyrics like these with a voice like Sande's, creates a perfect song and a beautifully authentic message.

As I said before, there's no doubting that Sande has a mesmerising gift. Even on songs that were a bit lost on me, 'Clown' and 'Hope' being two, I can't resist her silky tones. A noticeable issue with the album is that it's very ballad heavy, with only 4 mid-up tempo tracks. 'Life Time', 'Daddy' and 'Next To Me' break the balladry up nicely, but a couple more in this vein would have been appreciated. The latter of the three is a wonderfully catchy, poppy piano number with some lovely lyrics and again, a brilliant vocal performance. 

Our Version of Events is a great debut album that's packed with emotion; it's nigh on impossible not to fall in love with it. Although the majority of the tracklist is at ballad tempo, the immense force of Sande's voice is enough to woo any critic. It's a soul album for the 21st Century and I'm very excited to hear what she has in store for us next.

Rated i recommends: 'Heaven', 'Daddy', 'Next To Me', 'My Kind of Love', 'Mountains'

4/5

No comments :

Post a Comment